- Switch on your Nespresso.
- Learn how to turn on the descaling programme using our guide.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions of your chosen descaling product.
- Run the solution through your Nespresso twice.
- Always run a clean water cycle after descaling.
- Now you’re ready to make your favourite Nespresso brew.
To get the best results from a Nespresso machine, you need to descale it regularly. However, as Nespresso machines are built differently to other coffee machines, it might not be instantly clear how to do this. Read on for our step-by-step guide to descaling a Nespresso machine, as well as dos and don'ts to keep in mind.
How to descale Nespresso: The dos and don’t-forgets!
Before your start descaling a Nespresso machine there are some important things you need to remember:
- DO remember to descale your Nespresso regularly. Regardless of whether you have a Citiz, U-machine, Pixie, Lattissima or Inissia, your machine should be descaled once every other month.
- DO ensure you use a descaling product designed for Nespresso, as these will maintain the integrity of the taste of your favourite brew.
- DO learn how to set your Nespresso to the descaling programme. To activate the descaling programme on your Nespresso machine we have a guide below.
- DO make sure you have time to descale. You need around 20 minutes to complete the process.
- DON’T FORGET to empty all capsules from the slot and tray of your Nespresso.
- DON’T FORGET to always run a cycle of clean, fresh water before using your Nespresso to make a coffee to remove all traces of the descaling product.
- DON’T FORGET that your Nespresso will need to be on for the descaling programme to run.
How to activate the descaling programme on different Nespresso machines:
- Citiz: Hold down both buttons for 3 seconds, until they blink at short intervals.
- U-machine: With the sliding door closed, hold down all three buttons together until the machine beeps. Open the sliding door, hold the buttons down for a further 3 seconds until the machine beeps and buttons flash. Close the sliding door to start the programme.
- Pixie: Hold down both buttons for 3 seconds until they flash rapidly.
- Lattissima: Attach the hot water tap, and the descaling light will light up.
- Inissia: Press and hold both buttons for 3 seconds until they flash rapidly.
How to descale your Nespresso machine: An easy step-by-step guide
Regardless of which Nespresso machine you have in your home, the steps for descaling are very similar! Read on for our simple Nespresso descaling instructions including how to set your Nespresso to the descaling programme.
- Switch on your Nespresso.
- Remove all the capsules from the slot and tray.
- Empty the dip tray.
- Make up a descaling solution using the manufacturer’s instructions on the label of your chosen product.
- Place this mixture into the water tank of your Nespresso, and put it back onto the machine.
- Place a bowl or other container with a 1 litre capacity beneath the coffee spout.
- Set your Nespresso to its descaling programme. Find the relevant descaling programme for your machine with our guide above.
- Press the relevant button to start the cycle. For Citiz, Pixie and Inissia, press the Lungo button. Lattissima, press the milk foam button. For U machine, press any button!
- When the mixture has finished running through your Nespresso, pour it back into the water tank.
- Run the mixture through your Nespresso twice.
- Now discard your mixture.
- Fill the water tank with clean, fresh water.
- Using the guide above, press the relevant button to start the cycle.
- Once the water has run through the machine, switch off the descaling programme in the same way you switched it on. Use the guide set out above for how to do this on your Nespresso.
- Now your Nespresso is ready to use and make your favourite brew!
With these step-by-step Nespresso descaling instructions you now have everything you need to know about how to descale a Nespresso machine and have it always working at its best. For more caffeine-related cleaning advice, we also have articles on descaling coffee machines and cleaning your kettle!