Wondering how to clean a leather handbag? Follow these steps:
- Avoid soaking your bag in water.
- Use a solution of dish soap and water to dampen a soft cloth.
- Gently wash the bag and let it dry naturally.
Durable, versatile, and stylish, a leather bag is a wardrobe essential - but keeping yours clean isn’t always an easy task! Though they may be created to last, if you don’t learn how to clean a leather bag you might have to say goodbye to yours before it’s time. To stop this from happening, we’ve put together all of our tips and tricks for keeping clean handbags.
How to clean a leather handbag: do’s and don'ts
If you’re wondering how to clean a leather purse, start by taking a look at the do’s and don’ts:
- Don’t wash leather in a washing machine.
- Don’t dry wet leather with a hair dryer.
- Don’t tumble dry or iron your leather.
- Don’t use a lot of water when cleaning leather.
- Do use a soft brush or cloth.
- Do clean your leather regularly.
- Do carefully dry any moisture on your leather as soon as possible.
- Do dry leather naturally.
- Do condition your leather.
- Do test any leather products on a small, hidden spot of your bag first.
How to clean a leather bag
Whether you’re wondering how to clean a white leather bag or how to get stains out of yours, here’s all the advice you need:
- Weekly cleaning - Be sure to use a mix of a few drops of mild washing up liquid in water to clean your leather bag. Use the solution to dampen a cloth and wipe over your bag before leaving it to dry naturally.
- Interior handbag cleaning - Clean the inside of your leather bag by emptying it and using a lint roller or hoover hose to remove any dirt and debris.
- How to remove stains from a leather bag - To treat stains, dip a cotton bud into rubbing alcohol before gently apply it to the stain, rubbing until it disappears.
Keep your leather nourished
If you don’t properly nourish your leather bag, it can become cracked and break far more easily. To stop this from happening, make sure you invest in a good leather conditioner and apply it to your bag as per the instructions. You can also apply restorative polish and try to keep it away from excessive moisture to prevent yours from cracking.
It’s important you know how to clean handbags if you want to stay looking smart and stylish - especially if you’ve paid a lot for quality leather! Just remember to clean yours regularly and take some extra care when using it and yours will last a lifetime. For more tips, be sure to check out our guide on how to clean leather.