A pair of white sneakers is a staple in every wardrobe. They are comfortable, easy to wear and can be paired with practically every outfit (except, perhaps, a ball gown). However, maintaining the bright colour of these shoes can be tricky with regular wear. But don’t despair! Read on for our awesome tips on how to clean white shoes.
How to clean white sneakers: preparation
For effectively cleaning your white shoes, you’ll need the following items:
- Old newspapers
- Paper towels
- White wine vinegar
- Any commercial soap or detergent like Omo
- Old toothbrush
How to clean white shoes step by step:
- Using a damp cloth, wipe away any loose dirt or grass.
- Choose one of the following methods for cleaning your shoes based on their material:
- Once you’re done, wipe your shoes again with a damp cloth to remove any soap or toothpaste residue.
- Let your shoes air dry by placing them on a towel. Avoid drying your shoes outside as too much sun exposure can cause discolouration. If you want to speed up the process, stuff a few paper towels or old newspapers into your shoes.
- For the laces, you can wash them in a washing machine as described above or just hand wash them using a little bit of soap and warm water. Then let them dry.
- If your shoes are made of leather, you might be surprised to find out that toothpaste can be very effective for removing stains. Put on protective gloves and gently scrub a little of it onto the shoes with an old toothbrush.
- If you wonder how to clean white takkies, you have a few options. You can also use a toothbrush, but instead of toothpaste, take a little bit of soap or commercial detergent like Omo and scrub the affected area. Short on time? Despite the common misconceptions, certain types of shoes like fabric sneakers can be washed safely in a washing machine at 30 ° Check the label, remove the laces, and use a mesh laundry bag for protection.
Now that you know how to wash white sneakers, your shoes can always look brand new!