How to Remove Static from Clothes
Removing static from clothes involves making small alterations or additions to your environment or your clothes. Using a good quality fabric conditioner (we like COMFORT) will help reduce static electricity in your clothes, and there are other strategies you can try, as well.
With solutions ranging from home humidifiers to fabric softeners, try these methods to remove static from clothes:
- Touch grounded metal – touching any piece of grounded metal (like water pipes or a lamppost) will banish static from your clothes.
- Use a dryer sheet – adding an anti-static tumble dryer sheet to the machine stops clothes from rubbing together and electrons from building up.
- Applying body moisturiser prevents clothing from rubbing against dry skin and creating unwanted sparks.
- Anti-static sprays are for application on clothes or the body, these products are an effective solution.
- As very dry air is an ideal condition for static electricity, boosting humidity within the home using a humidifier can eliminate the problem.
How to Get Rid of Static Cling
The perfect outfit can be given an undesirable twist if your clothes end up clinging to you in all the wrong places! Let your clothes know that you need some space with these five tips:
- Lightly wet your hands then brush them over the surface of your clothing to reduce static cling. This method will work with some fabrics – but should not be used with delicate dry-clean-only fabrics, like silk, that do not respond well to water.
- Target extra clingy areas by applying talcum powder to your skin.
- Rubbing a dryer sheet over the offending articles while dressed can work wonders.
- Believe it or not, putting a tennis ball in the dryer can also help to reduce static cling by preventing clothes from rubbing together as they dry.
- Running the flat bit of a wire coat hanger over clothing can pick up the loose electricity, preventing clinging catastrophes.
As you can see, you can put an end to nasty little shocks and awkward clinging in just a few minutes. Don’t get zapped – give them a try!