You’ve done the washing, the drying and the ironing – now it’s time to breathe a sigh of relief. Well, almost.
Knowing how to store clothes properly is important for a number of reasons. Firstly, convenience – no one wants to be digging through their wardrobe hunting for a certain t-shirt. Secondly, storing clothes correctly can protect them from damage, and keep them looking their best for longer.
And thirdly, it’s good to know how to keep clothes smelling fresh in storage. Rewashing something just because you haven’t worn it in a while isn’t ideal – plus it’s nice to be greeted with that lovely ‘just washed’ smell whenever you open your closet!
How to organise a small closet with lots of clothes
Whether you need lots of clothes or you have a penchant for shopping, it’s useful to know how to organise a wardrobe. Here’s how to organise a small closet with lots of clothes.
- Hooks are a great way to make use of any empty space. Better still, they can be used for almost anything – jewellery, belts, clothes that you’ve worn but aren’t ready for the laundry basket yet, etcetera. You could also use hooks to hang items on the inside of your closet door.
- Under-shelf baskets are highly effective ways to maximise the space in a small wardrobe. These hook onto your shelves and can be used to store lightweight clothes, bags and accessories.
- Multi-storey shoe storage is a practical way to store shoes in a tidy fashion. No more stray shoes – give every trainer, boot and ballet pump a home with space-saving shoe racks.
- If you have a long, narrow wardrobe with empty, hard to reach corners, try installing extra hanging rods perpendicular to the main one.
- Wondering how to store winter clothes? Coats and jumpers are bulky and can be difficult to store, especially if you’re short on space. Vacuum packing your winter gear is a great way to save space and protect your things from hungry moths!
Knowing how to keep clothes smelling fresh in storage is particularly important for small spaces. The easiest way to do this is by using a laundry detergent with long-lasting perfume capsules that continue to release perfume for weeks after the wash – we like Skip.
Alternatively, fill small cotton bags with herbs such as lavender or lemongrass. Secure and place inside your closet.
Do you use powder, capsules or liquid to wash your clothes?
How to store clothes without a dresser
No closet? No problem. If you don’t have a wardrobe, here are some clever storage solutions to try.
- Keep shoes on a shelved rack by the front door. This not only keeps your bedroom clutter-free, but also stops people trailing mud into the house.
- Detached wardrobe racks are probably the easiest way to store clothes if you don’t have a closet. Hook a stylish metal chain onto your wardrobe rack using an S-clip to provide plenty of hanger space.
- Use the space under your bed. Drawers are ideal for heavy sweaters and woollen garments which should be stored horizontally to keep their shape.
- Use hooks, wall organisers or even hangers to display scarves. Incorporating your clothes into your bedroom design is a great way to make the most of the space and add a personal touch.
- If you enjoy getting creative, why not upcycle an old trunk or something similar from a second-hand shop or antique store? With a bit of wood stain and some upholstery fabric, it’s the perfect hideaway for clothes, bags or accessories.
If you’re wondering how to store winter clothes without a wardrobe, try this unique storage solution:
- Thoroughly clean your winter boots
- Place a sachet of baking powder inside each boot and let it sit for 24 hours
- Replace with a fresh sachet of baking powder, then line each boot with a thin, clean rag
- Put winter hats, scarves and gloves into airtight bags or vacuum packs
- Stuff your winter boots with the storage bags
So there you have it – from space-saving wardrobe solutions to how to store clothes without a dresser, now you know how to store clothes easily and keep them smelling fresh too!
- Organise closets with hooks, under-shelf baskets, shoe racks and extra hanging rods
- No wardrobe? Try a detached wardrobe rack and make use of space under the bed
- Keep clothes smelling great with a perfumed laundry detergent