Have you decided to try plastic bottle recycling activities with your kids? Follow these key steps:
- Save your plastic bottles after use, making sure they are thoroughly cleaned with Sunlight Dishwashing Liquid after use.
- Pick out a fun project from our list.
- Explain how to undertake the project to your kids, using it as an opportunity to discuss important ideas like environmental conservation and product re-use.
A waste material craft session is a great way to occupy kids for an afternoon and teach them about recycling and sustainability. Read on to discover step-by-step guides to making art using recycled materials, such as easy and family-friendly plastic bottle crafts for kids.
Craft ideas for kids with waste material
Making art using recycled materials is an easy way to teach your whole family about the importance of recycling and environmental sustainability. There are loads of different recycled craft ideas out there but plastic bottle art is a great place to start. Not only are there thousands of plastic bottle craft activities to do but this activity also involves something you’re likely to have at home which means no need to buy lots of craft materials!
Here are a few fun ideas for recycled crafts for kids.
Make a rocket piggy bank
This is one of our favourite recycling projects for kids. Not only does it teach them about recycled crafts but also responsible money management.
You will need:
- A clean, empty plastic bottle
- Paint in your choice of colours
- Coloured card to match or contrast to your paint
To make the rocket piggy bank:
- Use the scissors to cut a coin slot near the top of the bottle.
- With the paint, create a base colour, windows, and any other decorations your kids want on their rocket.
- Cut the card into rocket wings, and glue to the sides of your bottle rocket.
- Leave to dry and let your children start saving their pocket money!
Turn an old milk bottle into a fairy house
Lastly, here’s a great option for recycling the kind of milk bottles that most households have in abundance. This is one of the best recycling activities for kids that gets everyone involved: adults can do the more complex cutting out, while kids can design and stick down.
You will need:
- A clean, empty milk jug
- Paint, markers, coloured paper and/or stickers
To make your fairy home:
- Cut a hole at the bottom of the side to create a doorway. This can be any shape, from a standard rectangle to a more unusual triangle or oval.
- Add in holes for windows around the bottle sides.
- Let your kids decorate with paint, stickers and more to make it their own.
With these easy plastic bottle craft ideas, you can be sure to have fun, educational play with your children and give your recycling a new lease of life. For more ideas like these, check out our productive hacks for used plastic bottles.