- Use products like Cif to get your dirty bathtub clean and disinfected ready to use.
- Use salt and lemon to help treat stains in your bathtub.
- Always rinse the bathtub thoroughly to remove all traces of cleaning solutions or chemicals.
Porcelain enamel and cast-iron bathtubs are perfect for adding a little vintage charm to your bathroom, but it is important to know how to clean a stained bathtub. Here you will find all the tips you need to clean your dirty bathtub whether it's a weekly or deep cleaning.
How to clean an old bathtub
When it comes to knowing what to use to clean a dirty bathtub, all you need is a few simple items and you’ll have it clean, stain free and ready to use.
- Sponge clean your bathtub with a homemade solution of warm water mixed with one fourth cup of baking soda and ammonia.
- Ensure you rinse your bathtub thoroughly to remove any residue of baking soda.
- Once your deep clean is completed, use a mixture of hot water and washing up liquid on a soft cloth to clean your bathtub weekly.
- If you have an old porcelain bathtub, rubbing in lemon oil using a clean cloth will add a protective coating.
- Don’t forget to test any cleaners you are using on a small area first to avoid adverse effects to the bathtub surface.
How to remove stains from bathtub interiors
Knowing how to remove stains from bathtub interiors is as easy as one, two, three with the following simple steps:
- Cover the stain with regular table salt.
- Squeeze lemon juice onto the salt until it is completely saturated.
- Leave the salt and lemon for around an hour before scrubbing with a nylon sponge and rinsing the bathtub clean.
How to whiten bathtub interiors
Just as you want to avoid stains on your bathtub, knowing how to whiten bathtub interiors will keep your bathtub looking as good as new.
- Mixing two parts baking soda and one part hydrogen peroxide into a paste is great for cleaning off soap scum.
- Salt and turpentine in equal parts are great for rubbing out yellow spots.
- Adding three cups of vinegar to a bath full of hot water and leaving it for four or so hours will help to remove hard water stains.
Safety tips for cleaning dirty bathtubs
Whatever method you choose to use to clean your bathtub there are some safety tips you need to bear in mind:
- Always ensure that the bathroom is well ventilated.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Always rinse the bath thoroughly to ensure that there is no cleaning solution left over when you are using it to bathe.
Now you know the best way to clean bathtub stains, you can ensure dirty bathtubs can be cleaned, whitened and ready for use from weekly cleans to deep cleaning. Have a look here for more tips on how to clean a stained bathtub.