Clearing a Blocked Shower Drain: Baking Soda and White Vinegar
This homemade remedy requires baking soda (also known as bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate), distilled white vinegar, a rag, and boiling water. For maximum effectiveness, do this when the shower won’t be needed for a few hours.
- Pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Follow this immediately with half a cup of distilled white vinegar, poured down very quickly.
- Plug the drain with the rag. The combination of baking soda and vinegar will create a fizzing action, which should work away at the blockage.
- Leave it for at least 20 minutes, even a few hours.
- Boil a kettle full of water, and pour this down the drain quickly, to flush away the blockage.
- Repeat if needed.
Be very careful not to splash yourself with either boiling water or the baking soda and vinegar mixture. You may want to wear rubber gloves, goggles, and of course, clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
With the above suggestions, you should hopefully have everything you need to to make sure your shower drain stays clear and odour-free.