We all love taking a shower, but do you know how to take a great shower and maintain the best level of personal hygiene? Check out these tips for how to take a shower, and keep your hygiene at the top level day after day.
Do you know how often to shower?
When it comes to deciding how long to shower for, you actually need to spend less time in the shower than you might think (sorry, we know it feels great but let’s think about your water usage):
- Over-washing could damage your skin, as it removes natural oils produced to protect it, leading to dry skin, flakiness and conditions such as eczema.
- The elderly and young only need to shower once or twice a week.
- Others only need to shower around three times a week.
- You may need to shower more often if you regularly get dirty or sweaty, for example in summer.
Top tips for how to shower
This tips will help you understand how to take a great shower and maintain the best level of personal hygiene:
- Always keep the temperature lukewarm as water that’s too hot can strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Shampoo all over your hair, especially around the nape of the neck, scrubbing the shampoo into your hair for around thirty seconds.
- You do not need to leave your conditioner in for any length of time as the water will already have swollen your hair molecules so it will penetrate it as soon as it’s applied. Stick to using conditioner on the lengths of the hair.
- Bath sponges and loofahs can harbour bacteria, leaving them unhygienic, so it’s better not to use them. If you do, ensure you replace them regularly.
- Whilst exfoliating is great for removing dead skin cells, only do so once a week as otherwise it can irritate your skin. The same applies to body shaving.
- Rinse your hair out at the end of your shower using cold water.
- Allow your body to dry naturally, or if you are in a hurry, dab your skin with a towel instead of rubbing.
- After your shower, wash your face at the sink. As washing using warm water causes your pores to open, you should use cold water to close them.
- Once you are out of the shower, apply a moisturising lotion immediately, even if you are still damp.
Dos and don’ts of showering
There are a few showering tips to make sure that you are keeping the top level of personal hygiene:
- DO clean your shower and bathtub at least once a week with products like Cif Power & Shine Bathroom Spray.
- DON’T over-wash as this can remove the natural oils your skin needs to protect itself.
- DO wash your towels regularly.
- DON’T use hot water, as this can remove natural oils from your skin.
- DON’T rub yourself dry using a towel, instead allow your skin to dry naturally.
Now you know how to shower quickly as well as how often to shower, you can be sure to maintain your personal hygiene on a regular basis.