Maintaining good personal hygiene is important, as it helps to keep you healthy and free from illness (and it helps you smell good). From providing a daily personal hygiene checklist to explaining why personal hygiene is important, this article will help you adopt better hygiene habits to live a healthier life.
What is personal hygiene?
Personal hygiene is the idea of ensuring that you maintain a basic to high level of cleanliness and grooming from head to toe. In order to maintain a good level of personal hygiene you should regularly shower, bathe, wash your hands, brush your teeth and hair, clip your fingernails and toenails and wear clean clothes.
Why is personal hygiene important?
These points will help answer the question, “why is it important to maintain good personal hygiene?”
- Good personal hygiene is great for your health. Brushing and flossing your teeth helps to prevent oral diseases whilst washing your hands helps to remove harmful bacteria, thus helping to prevent the spread of illness protecting you and your family.
- Good personal hygiene is great for your social interaction. Many cultures consider poor personal hygiene offensive, and a sure sign of illness. Ensuring you care for your body regularly will reduce body odour and improve your overall appearance which is important for situations such as school and work.
Top steps for maintaining good personal hygiene with our personal hygiene checklist
This personal hygiene checklist will provide you will all the better hygiene habits you need to lead a healthy life.
- Shower or bathe regularly. Take particular care to do so if you’re dirty or sweaty.
- Brush your teeth. This not only protects against oral diseases but fights bad breath.
- Wash your clothes. Ensure there is no leftover sweat or dirt on them.
- Wash your bed linen regularly. Bedding comes into regular contact with body fluids such as sweat while you sleep, so change and wash it every week in summer or every two weeks the rest of the year.
- Trim your nails. Bitten nails don’t look great, but neither do dirty, long nails. If you wear nail polish, be sure to keep it in good condition without chips.
- Wash your hands with soap. Particularly if you have been in contact with raw meat or anyone who is ill.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. This will prevent the spread of germs to others and the contaminated tissue can be thrown away. If you use your hands, be sure to wash them after.
Now we have answered top questions in regards to personal hygiene and provided you with a daily personal hygiene checklist for adults, you can be sure to keep on top of your personal hygiene and live a healthier life.