Mould is a common problem in many households. In fact, studies have found that around 62% of homes contain cladosporium moulds which are often dark brown or black, while around 41% of homes contain penicillium moulds which can appear in shades of blue or green. Not only is mould not particularly nice to look at, but it can also cause a wide range of health problems, especially in children who do not yet have strong immune systems, and in adults who suffer with allergies or asthma.
Unfortunately, there’s a lot of different advice regarding how to clean mould that has resulted in many homeowners not fully understanding the best ways to get rid of existing spores, and prevent new growth. A common question that’s often asked is ‘can bleach kill mould?’ The answer – yes!
How to kill mould using bleach
Bleach is considered to be a powerful antifungal agent that is capable of attacking mould spores that have started to grow in your bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, or any other room in your home. You may notice that mould grows quicker in the bathroom and kitchen as these rooms often have ideal conditions for growth – they’re warm and damp. Before you start to clean with bleach, be sure to spot test the area first - particularly if you are cleaning mould off walls with bleach. Here’s how to use bleach to disinfect your home:
- Spray – Use Domestos Bleach Spray to cover the area. You don’t have to mix anything up and the spray helps get into hard to reach corners. Allow it to soak in for a moment.
- Wipe – With a clean cloth, wipe down the surfaces you have sprayed. Any build up should be easy to remove at this point, but pay attention to any trouble areas. Ensure you wear gloves and protect your eyes and skin while you’re working!
- Assess – Take a step back and reassess if you need to focus on any areas in particular for a second time.
Preventing mould growth
Bleach isn’t just good for killing mould spores, it’s great for preventing mould growth in the future, too. Research has found that growth is ‘significantly inhibited’ 12 hours after treatment with an antifungal agent such as bleach or rubbing alcohol. Regular maintenance should make a big difference to growth.
Using bleach to kill mould safely
Whichever antifungal agent you choose to help tackle mould in your home, it’s important to stay safe while cleaning. Keep your windows and doors open when using bleach and vinegar to improve airflow and reduce fumes, and always wear gloves and any other necessary protective clothing as these cleaning solutions can irritate the skin. And always keep children and pets away from the area until it’s safe.
For more information on the ingredients in products mentioned in this tip, visit What’s in Unilever Products here.