When the transition to university comes around, it’s normal for you and your child to feel a little nervous. Luckily, sneaking in a few comforts from home, whether it’s that go-to snack, or even a favourite pillow, can help soothe some of those jitters when it comes to preparing for uni.
Wondering what cleaning supplies to bring to college? Whether your new student is living in a flat or traditional halls of residence, many of the products your family knows and depends on come in convenient sizes that save space and bring along the feeling of home. To get you started, here are seven cleaning must-haves that are easy enough to pack and will help make the move a bit smoother.
- All-purpose cleaner: Rooms in university accommodation can be a little small, so it only takes a little work to keep it tidy. It also means, though, that the products used touch every bit of that small living space, which is why we recommend all-purpose cleaners that are free of fragrances and VOCs.
- Disinfectant wipes: All that tight space shared by so many people student accommodation major germ-collection points. In fact, studies show that students who share small spaces are at an increased risk for the flu and other illnesses. A great way to cut back on germs is to promote good hygiene. Frequent hand washing and wiping down shared surfaces with disinfectant wipes are easy steps even a busy student can make time for.
- Hand wash: When it comes to keeping hands clean, regular bathroom soap may not do the trick. This is a cleaning must-have to rival all others!
- Laundry capsules: Without a parent nearby, it’s unlikely your child’s clothes will get washed with the same frequency as at home. You can’t be there for that weekly reminder, but sending along some convenient, pre-dosed laundry packs like Persil are an essential on any list of student cleaning tips. Have a read of some more student laundry tips to help make the move that bit easier.
- Washing-up liquid: We recommend sending along a small plastic basin, a sponge, and a small bottle of washing-up liquid to help make doing the dishes just a little more like home.
- Toilet roll: When it comes to preparing for uni, this is one you won't want to forget! Some student housing may not come pre-stocked with toilet roll so it’s a good idea to pack a few rolls.
- Kitchen towels: Paper towels are great for easy everyday spills and clean up. They can even serve as a plate in a pinch for that late-night pizza order.
Whilst it's not an essential, a roommate cleaning schedule may also come in handy by putting all these cleaning supplies to good use! It doesn't have to be overly complicated, either. Why not encourage your child to use their new pencils and pads to sketch out a simple chart for who's doing what to help clean on a weekly basis. A roommate cleaning schedule can help by staying on top of shared accommodation cleaning, and alleviate any new flatmate tensions!
One of the joys of university is seeing your child mature and grow. Establishing their own routines is an important part of that growth, and we hope these student cleaning tips help make the transition to university a bit easier – and cleaner! Knowing what to take to uni accommodation in advance will help ease the big day when it comes round, and this includes those cleaning essentials! Unsure exactly what to take to university? Read our article on what to take to university to make sure you don't miss anything.