If you have a lot of spare space in your garage, it's easy to start using it as a dumping ground for all the things you’re not using but still want to keep. But there’s no need to let your garage fill up with stuff you don’t need. With these simple garage design ideas, you can easily create a tidy and organised space with a clever garage storage system that only stores exactly what you need.
Garage organisation: how to keep your external storage space neat and tidy
There are lots of different things you can do to keep your space ordered, so here are some of our favourite clever garage storage ideas:
- Store things in transparent boxes: If you are looking to keep your garage tidy, often the simplest approaches are the best. Just get yourself a lot of transparent storage boxes and commit to only keeping things in these, rather than cardboard or other opaque containers. The advantage of see-through storage is that you can always see what’s inside – this will not only aid you when you’re looking for something, but also avoid those dark, dingy corners of storages boxes in which odd bits and pieces always seem to collect.
- Have an annual clean out: Do you like having garage storage, but don’t want it to get out of hand? Declutter your garage at least once every year or even twice a year if you’re feeling energetic. This will mean garage organisation will improve annually as you find new ways to keep things in order and also give yourself the chance to throw things out regularly.
- Designate a space for each member of the family: One of the best garage design ideas is to make sure each member of the family has their own little bit of space for storage, rather than jumbling up everyone’s different items together. Label the sections clearly and get each person to take responsibility for their own space.
It’s great to have lots of extra space to keep the things that you want but aren’t necessarily using every day. To make the most of your garage storage, just be sure to keep the space organised and tidy. This means decluttering the garage it regularly and storing items in a way that makes them easy to find whenever you need them.
- Use easily accessible storage boxes that will protect your belongings while improving garage organisation.
- Regularly declutter. Garage mess tends to increase over time so have a regular schedule for throwing things out as required.
- Plan your space! Look online for other helpful garage design ideas to create a space that works for you and your family.