Car cleaning requires time, patience, and specific materials. Here is a step-by-step guide to cleaning your car, inside and out:
Car Cleaning Tips: The Interior
Deal with the interior of your car first. You’ll need the following car cleaning products:
- Shampoo (for fabric seats only)
- Leather cleaner and conditioner (for leather seats only)
- Protectant (for the dashboard only)
- Detergent (for the pedals)
- A handheld vacuum
Once you’ve got your materials together, the process is fairly simple:
- Read the instructions on the labels of each product before starting to clean.
- Then, shampoo cloth seat covers lightly to remove grime and absorbed liquid. Take extra care dealing with leather seats, and always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Swab the dashboard and clean the pedals.
- Vacuum the whole interior with your handheld vacuum.
Now you can get ready to wash the outside of your car!
Car Washing: Cleaning the Exterior
Before you start, you’ll need the following car cleaning supplies:
- A large bucket
- A hose (preferably one which is connected to a water supply)
- A large, soft sponge, a soft wash mitt, and a chamois
- Liquid detergent (Although specialised car soaps are available, they are not essential. Always make sure you follow the guidelines on the labels.)
- Plastic polish
- Metal polish
- A polishing cloth or sponge
- Car wax
- A toothbrush or specialised detailing brush
Once you have all your car wash products, you can start to wash your car! Remember not to wash your car on a sunny or overly warm day, as this will cause water to dry out too quickly and leave you with soap spots on your car. Either wait for an overcast day, or pull the car into the shade before you begin.
- Start by hosing the whole car down. Get the whole car wet to dislodge any surface-level dirt and to remove mud and grime from the wheels.