What is personal hygiene and why is it important? Personal hygiene refers to caring for our bodily health through cleansing and grooming. Good personal hygiene is essential for good health, as it prevents the spread of germs and any consequent illness. Staying on top of your personal hygiene also boosts your confidence. When you look good, you feel good – it’s that simple.
Following a few simple steps each day ensures you stay clean, confident and healthy. Check out our personal hygiene checklist for adults below to see whether anything is missing from your daily routine!
Has your lifestyle during the Covid-19 lockdown affected the type of stains you get on your clothes?
Daily personal hygiene checklist
The personal hygiene checklist below highlights what you should be doing every day.
- Daily showers – Shower either first thing or before you go to bed. Try to keep showers to less than five minutes if possible, as water is an increasingly valuable resource.
- Apply deodorant – Use a good spray or aerosol you can rely on whatever the weather, and that can withstand high intensity activities like gardening and exercise.
- Perfume and aftershave – Perhaps more of a luxury than a necessity, however smelling good can make you feel good. A spray a day keeps the blues away!
- Use moisturiser – A hydrating moisturiser should be a key part of any personal hygiene checklist for adults. Try something natural and unscented that’s gentle on skin.
- Brush teeth – Another must on any personal hygiene checklist: keeping your teeth in good condition. A toothbrush (which should be changed every 3 months), toothpaste, dental floss and mouthwash are all key for good oral hygiene.
- Clean clothes – Change your clothes every one to two days, and wash them using an effective detergent like Skip that leaves your clothes fresh and fragrant.
- Cut nails – Keeping your nails short, looks smart and professional, and prevents dirt from accumulating in an unsightly black line. Keep cuticles pushed back and moisturise nails with a hydrating lotion.
These are just the basics. Take your personal hygiene to the next level by treating yourself to the spa every so often. Facials cleanse and exfoliate while more indulgent treatments like body wraps hydrate you from head to toe!
How often to take a shower and other questions answered
Still got questions about your personal hygiene? The notes below accompany our daily personal hygiene checklist and may resolve any outstanding queries.
- How often to take a shower? Generally speaking, a five minute shower once a day is more than enough. If it’s a hot day, or you’re sweaty or grimy from work, gardening or running round with the kids, a second one minute shower is enough to feel fresh. Water is an increasingly valuable resource, so use it sparingly!
- How to wash hands properly? Practicing good hand hygiene is crucial in any household to prevent the spread of germs. Washing your hands like health professionals is the most effective method and only takes 20 seconds. Here’s how:
- Wet your hands and apply a coin sized squirt of soap
- Rub your palms together to create a lather
- Rub the back of each hand
- Rub your hands together while interlocking your fingers
- Rub the backs of your fingers with opposing palms and fingers interlocked
- Rub the tips of your fingers
- Rub your thumbs and the end of each wrist
- How to keep hair shiny and strong? Cut your hair regularly to prevent split ends, use good quality shampoos and conditioners which nourish and hydrate your hair.
So there you have it – from knowing what personal hygiene is (and why is it important) to knowing how often to shower, consider yourself a personal hygiene guru!