How to Get Rid of Ants in the Home: Preventing Entry
As the ants will be coming from outside, you’ll need to create barriers so they can’t come inside. Here are a number of ways to prevent ants from entering your home:
- Caulk and seal off any cracks – Gaps in doorways and window frames are popular entrances for ants. Seal these off with caulk, putty, glue, or – as a temporary solution – petroleum jelly.
- Sprinkle a line of talcum powder, baby powder, or chalk as a barrier – Spread this underneath doors, on windows, and along walls to ward off ants. You can also try cinnamon, citrus oil, bay leaves, laurel leaves, turmeric, or pepper.
- Spray a white vinegar solution near entry points – Mix a solution of water and white vinegar, and spray this liberally over any area popular with ants.
- Prune back any tree branches or shrubs near your windows and doorways – Ants often use overhanging vegetation to access a home, so leave a clear perimeter around the building.
How to Get Rid of Ants: Removing Existing Ants
So what do you do when there’s already a stream of ants parading through your house? The steps below give some simple tips on how to eliminate the problem of ants in your home.
- Repel the ants – Rub raw garlic cloves over all the areas ants could enter through. Ants don’t like garlic, so this will create an effective barrier and deter them from entering your home. Coffee granules can also work as a natural repellent.
- Spray the ants with dishwashing detergent and water — Whenever you see the ants, spray them, leave for 5 minutes, and wipe up. This natural solution is a safe option to use if you have children or pets in the house. Remember to always wipe your surfaces clean with a multi-purpose cleaner like HANDY ANDY after removing ants, just follow the instructions on the label.
Getting rid of ants isn’t an easy task, but by following our step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to keep your home ant-proof and hopefully ant-free in the future! And if you find your home invaded by other pesky insects like flies, check out this article on how to get rid of flies.