Wondering how to clean glasses and remove scratches? Remember these key steps:
- Clean your glasses frames and lenses once a week with lukewarm water and dish soap.
- Dry your glasses using a microfiber cloth to avoid scratches.
- Buff surface scratches out of lenses using baking soda and water. Try a glass etching product for deeper scratches.
- Polish your lenses with rubbing alcohol and metal polish as needed.
No one wants to walk around with dirty glasses but cleaning yours isn’t always easy! With easily scratched lenses and fragile frames, if you don’t know how to clean them properly you could end up ruining them. Before you take a cloth to yours, make sure you read these tips on how to clean spectacles properly.
How to clean glasses and lenses
If the lenses of your glasses are looking a little dirty, it’s crucial you know how to clean them properly without ruining the surface. Follow these tips and keep yours in good condition for years to come:
- Run your glasses under lukewarm water.
- Put a small amount of liquid dish soap on your fingertips and gently rub it onto the lenses - be sure to wash both sides!
- Rinse the glasses under warm water and dry completely with a microfiber cloth, making sure you don’t use too much force.
- For the cleaning of glasses throughout the day, be sure to keep some lens wipes nearby! You can also use rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth if you don’t have any wipes.
Glasses cleaning for frames
When it comes to how to clean your glasses, it’s important you don’t forget the frame! Follow these steps to give them a quick once over every week or so:
- Use lukewarm water and mild dish soap to clean glasses frames.
- Wet a microfiber cloth with the water and soap before wiping over the frames.
- Use a soft toothbrush for dirt stuck in the nose pads and hinges - be careful not to scrape the lenses!
- Dry the frames with a clean microfiber cloth.
How to clean scratches on glasses
Scratched lenses are a nightmare - but did you know there are ways you can try to remove them yourself?
- Create a paste using baking soda and water to buff away surface scratches.
- Polish the surface of your lenses with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and metal polish.
- Try glass etching products, which work wonders on plastic lenses.
Knowing how to clean eyeglasses is key to keeping yours in good condition, so make sure you remember these tips! Learn how to do the same with other household objects, like headphones and earphones, to extend their lives too.