Wondering how to get rid of wasps naturally? Here’s a natural wasp repellent you can make at home:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of peppermint oil with 4 cups of water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- You can also add other oils, such as clove, lemongrass, and geranium.
- Spray the affected areas of your home to keep wasps away.
As summer draws to a close and brings the hot weather to its peak, the wasps come out in full force. This definitely isn’t fun when you’re outside making the most of the summer sun so we’ve put together a whole bunch of natural remedies to get rid of wasps and their nests without damaging your local wildlife (or your wallet)!
How to get rid of a wasp nest with soap
If you’re looking for a natural wasp nest removal method that’s not going to harm the environment, you can try simple soap and water.
- First of all, you need to find a hose-end sprayer that you can use to spray the nest.
- Fill it with hot water and around ¼ cup of washing up liquid.
- Let the water run for a little until it becomes soapy before spraying the nest from as far back as possible.
Although it’s definitely an easy way to get rid of a wasp nest you should make sure you stay safe at all times as wasps may become agitated when sprayed.
How to remove a wasp nest with peppermint oil
Peppermint oil is a great natural choice for wasp and hornet nest removal as well as prevention.
- Mix one tablespoon of this powerful essential oil with four cups of water.
- Using a spray bottle for easier application, spray the nest as much as you can before the wasps come out (be sure to wear long-sleeves).
- The spray should deter the wasps from returning - although you may need to repeat the application every day until they abandon the nest completely.
Tips for how to get rid of wasps
Follow these extra tips to help learn how to get rid of a hornets’ nest or keep wasps out of your home for good:
- Keep as much of your skin covered in tight clothing when dealing with wasps to prevent stings.
- If you’re looking to remove wasps from a nest, do it at dusk or at night when all the wasps should have come back to the nest.
- Approach the nest slowly and calmly to keep the wasps calm.
- Prevention is the best method - apply peppermint oil on the areas of your home prone to wasps’ nests to keep them away.
- Keep the lids of rubbish bins on and patch up any cracks in your home so wasps can’t get in.
- If hornet nest removal is too dangerous to perform on your own for any reason, contact the professionals.
Dealing with wasp nests really isn’t as hard as you might think - once you know how to do it! Our methods work brilliantly for smaller nests but for large infestations, it's always recommended to call in the professionals. Be sure you learn how to keep bees away too so you can enjoy a buzz-free summer!