Trying to open a tight jar can feel like a workout at times - but it doesn't have to. There are plenty of solutions to how to open a jar with a tight lid so why not see which one works for you - from butter knives to metal spoons, you might just be surprised at the different ways you can open a tight jar.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
How to open a jar with a butter knife
If you have a butter knife nearby, this can be great to open a stubborn jar.
- Hit the knife against the top edge of the jar, turning the jar as you do it. Be careful not to hit too hard or you may break the glass.
- Use the smooth edge of the knife and make sure you put enough force behind the knife to loosen the seal.
- The lid should then come off easily after a few taps round the edge.
How to open a pickle jar with better grip
Find your hand is slipping on the glass of a jar of pickles or some other treat? You might need to add a little extra grip to get the lid of.
- Try wearing your washing up gloves to open the jar. The rubber-style fabric can give you more grip.
- Grab a damp dishcloth or towel if you don't have any gloves to hand - they work just as well when learning how to open a tight jar.
How to open a glass jar with water
It may sound odd, but water is actually great for opening jars!
- Run the seal under hot water.
- Leave it for up to 1 minute and tilt the jar downwards so the hot water can get to the lid’s underside.
- Dry and twist the lid off once done.
- Combine this with the butter knife method for a fool-proof solution for how to open a glass jar.
How to open a stuck jar with a spoon
Sometimes a stuck jar can be caused by something as simple as food sticking the inside of the lid to the main container. Handily, a spoon is all you need to release it.
- Remove any stuck food or resude from the outside of the lid first.
- Hit a metal spoon against the lid a few times with some force (but not enough to break the jar).
- Try the lid again and see if it opens.
- Reapeat as necessary until the lid comes off.
Of course, it's not just jars that can be difficult to open - cans can also pose a challenge too. Read our tips on how to open a can, both with and without a can opener, and keep these tips handy for whenever you next need to know how to open a jar with a tight lid.