To avoid having maggots in your home follow these key steps:
- Get rid of any maggots in your home as soon as you see them.
- Keep your house clean with an effective cleaner, like Handy Andy.
- Remove any old, over-ripe, or gone-off food from your home immediately.
- Switch to a smaller bin for food and kitchen waste if you have recurring problems with maggots.
- Consider the use of essential oils to prevent maggots from coming back.
Nobody likes to find a maggot infestation in their home, but did you know you likely already have the tools you need to get rid of one? Follow our comprehensive guide to maggots below and learn what they are, what causes them, and how to get rid of them if they find their way into your home.
What are maggots and where do maggots come from?
Maggots are essentially the larvae of the common housefly. They come from the eggs that adult flies lay and will feed off almost anything to help them grow into adult flies. They are particularly drawn to leftover food and waste products which makes homes a prime target for infestation. As flies can be found almost anywhere, it's unlikely you'll escape them - or maggots - completely but you can do things to make your home less maggot-friendly.
What causes maggots to come into the home?
Maggots are attracted to rotting and dirty things. In the common household, maggots are mostly attracted by leftover food or decomposing perishable goods. Good maggot prevention, therefore, is about making sure there are no such things around the house – read our advice on deep cleaning your kitchen for help with this.
How to get rid of maggots: a step-by-step guide
Maggots still made it in despite your best efforts? Wondering how can you get rid of maggots? The process is quite simple:
- Throw away anything with maggots in them and remove any maggots you can see.
- Clean cupboards and surfaces that had maggots on them with hot water and a strong antibacterial cleaner.
- Clean the rest of the room and empty any rubbish bins. Check your cupboards for out of date food.
- Wipe surfaces with essential oils or add the fragrance to the room. Maggots dislike flowery scents so this is a good deterrent.
How to get rid of maggots in a bin
While the steps above are designed for general maggot infestations, there is one place they often get into that can be hard to remove them from ... the bin! Finding maggots in your bin is never pleasant but you can get rid of them quickly with one of these tips:
- Take the bin outside and give it a good spray with the hose. Use a pressurised spray if you can.
- Clean it with a strong disinfectant and ensure you use a bin liner rather than putting loose rubbish in directly.
- Douse the outside and inner rim of the bin with essential oils to deter maggots from wriggling inside.
Now you know the best way to get rid of maggots and all the things you can do to prevent maggots in the house or bin, there’s no reason to suffer this infestation anymore.