Anyone who has the space for a walk-in closet is very lucky - for a lot of homeowners, this is the ultimate luxury! But planning one isn’t always the easiest. In fact, creating walk-in closet designs for a master bedroom can take a lot of time, patience and hard work. To help you make the process a little smoother, we’ve put together some tips you can follow to get started.
What is a walk-in closet?
A walk-in closet is a separate room where you store all of your clothes, shoes and accessories. It’s usually built onto your bedroom - making it easy to roll out of bed and get ready in the morning. It can be big enough for you to store all your clothes and accessories or big enough for you to get changed in it as well.
How do you design a walk-in closet?
Creating a walk-in closet design isn’t always an easy task but it’s rewarding and definitely worth the work! Here are some steps to follow to create your own:
- Check out walk-in closet ideas before you start planning yours to get inspiration.
- Measure your closet’s height (from floor to ceiling), the length of wall space you can use, and the depth of your closet.
- Using your walk-in closet design ideas, create an accurate floorplan of how you want yours to look.
- Focus on small details which are vital to making sure you don’t run into any problems with your walk-in closet plans, such as at what angle your door will open - and whether it will swing into the room or outwards.
- Pick a colour scheme and style for your walk-in closet and start selecting the furniture. Think of what will complement your existing bedroom design.
To create a walk-in closet that works for you, you must be incredibly careful when designing it. One little error and you could run into a lot of problems! If you’re struggling, you can always bring in a professional to help come up with clever walk-in closet solutions.
What is the best layout for your walk-in closet?
The layout of your walk-in closet depends on what you want to use it for and the space you have - so there isn’t a one-size-fits-all option. There are some tips that can help you decide what’s best for your space:
- When it comes to walk-in closet ideas, small spaces should focus on making the most of every inch. Try floor-to-ceiling shelving - use the upper sections for items you don’t use so often.
- If you have a narrow space, you should also focus on using height rather than depth, opting for tall but narrow walk-in closet design ideas.
- If you want a minimalistic feel, choose storage with simple lines, neutral colours, and matching doors so you can hide away your clothes and keep a clean, modern look.
How to organise a walk-in closet with storage
When it comes to storage, it again depends on your layout and how you want to use your walk-in closet. There are some outside-the-box ideas that can make your life easier:
- If you have a lot of designer shoes that you want to show off, opt for a display shelf that runs around your closet or glass fronted storage.
- If you have a lot of clothing you wear frequently, such as work suits, hang them all on a rotating mechanism so you can easily see what you have and pick what you want to wear.
- To create the illusion of space in small walk-in closets, keep one wall with either less or no storage on it. Use this area for a comfy chair or full-length mirror instead.
Now that you know how to create your own walk-in closet, it’s time to grab your measuring tape and let your imagination flow. You definitely won’t regret it!