Did you know that you can clean almost all your surfaces at home with steam? Steam is the latest technology when it comes to cleaning: it disinfects, cleans, and deodorises. So why not take advantage of this new method? This article describes the basics of steam cleaning.
Steam Cleaning: How Does it Work?
A steam cleaner is a new cleaning method that’s actually really easy to use – but many people still wonder how it works. The answer is simple: steam cleaners work in two ways, depending on the type of machine they are.
- Dry steam cleaners: these work in a similar way to a pressure cooker, for instance. The water reaches boiling point and starts to produce steam. This process takes only a few minutes per litre of water. If you use hot water directly, the process of steam cleaning gets quicker.
- Cool steam cleaners: these machines work without boiling the water, so the steam is not hot, but rather humid. The disadvantage of cool steam cleaners is that they consume more water than dry steam cleaners, and because of the temperature of the water, they don’t eliminate mould and bacteria.
Steam Cleaners: Innovative and Simple to Use.
A steam cleaner is an innovative cleaning system; however, this doesn’t mean that it is difficult to use. With this guide, you can get more information to determine which cleaning method you prefer, taking into account all the pros and cons.
Remember: before using steam cleaners, perform a test first on a hidden place of the surface you need to clean, and don’t forget to read and follow the instructions on the label, along with the recommendations of the manufacturer.
Advantages of using a steam cleaner:
- It deeply cleans all types of surfaces: floors, walls, cloths, carpets, windows, mirrors, upholstery, glass, bathrooms, toys, ovens, curtains, etc.
- It is eco-friendly.
- It disinfects, deodorises, and degreases surfaces.
- It eliminates mould and bacteria.
- It doesn’t necessarily need detergent. Some steam cleaners require detergent, whereas others do not.
- It is very efficient at eliminating difficult stains.
Disadvantages of using a steam cleaner:
- Even though steam cleaning is very effective on certain surfaces you should take into account that antiques, paper, cardboard, painted surfaces, and wood are vulnerable to this cleaning method. Clean these surfaces with another technique, because steam can damage them and decrease their value.
- Although you can successfully steam clean a surface, you will still need to use a cloth afterwards.
- Steam can burn your skin: always use gloves to protect your hands and take adequate safety precautions.
- It is less economical than traditional cleaning methods.
Steam Cleaning Machines: a Practical and Simple Guide
When you buy a carpet cleaning machine which uses steam, it is essential that you always read and follow all the directions of the manufacturer. Take all necessary safety precautions to prevent mistakes, protect yourself, and get the most out of its disinfection and cleaning potential. Having a steam cleaner is very practical if you have a carpet at home, because it means you don’t have to depend on professional cleaning services. Here are some general tips for using a steam cleaner:
- First, vacuum your surface clean to get rid of all dust.
- Fill the machine with hot water.
- Add half a cup of soft liquid detergent.
- For further disinfection, add half a cup of baking soda.
A steam cleaner needn’t be an alien cleaning tool in your home – they’re simple to use and can help you save time cleaning! Before you invest in one of these super steam cleaning machines, why not borrow a friend’s and try it for yourself?