Proper hot tub or Jacuzzi cleaning is essential if you want your bubbly bath time experience to be relaxing. If you clean the tub, but neglect the jets, you’ll soon find that there’s nothing more stressful than watching greenish scum spurt directly into your bath. So it’s best to know how to clean a Jacuzzi tub (or your specific brand of hot tub) thoroughly.
For Jacuzzi cleaning, you will need:
- Dishwashing detergent, or specialised Jacuzzi cleaner
- Household bleach
- A multipurpose bathroom cleaner, like Cif
- A sponge
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
How to Clean a Jacuzzi Tub
- Check your manual. Different brands of hot tub may suggest slight changes to the method for cleaning Jacuzzi bathtubs. Occasionally, manufacturers create settings to make cleaning the Jacuzzi tub simpler for the owner, so it really is worth reading your manual or checking the brand website for advice.
- Cool your jets and fill the tub. Make sure all of the air controls are closed, unless the manufacturer suggests otherwise, and fill the tub up. All of the jets should be covered by five or six centimetres of water.
- Add three tablespoons (about 50 mls) of low-foaming detergent to the tub. Some brands of hot tub will suggest you buy a specialist Jacuzzi cleaner, but powdered dishwashing detergent also works fine.
- Add around 100 mls of household bleach. Since bleach is such a powerful cleaner, it’s best to wear gloves at this point, if not sooner. Always read the label on any cleaning product you purchase (including the Jacuzzi cleaner and dishwashing detergent mentioned above) to make sure you’re using it safely.
- Run the jets for 15 minutes. This will not be pretty, but rest assured that anything you see slopping out of the jets now won’t be able to surprise you later!
- Drain the tub, and clean up the residue. When you’re cleaning Jacuzzi bathtub basins, you can apply the same products you’d use on an ordinary bathtub. Using a sponge and a specially designed bathroom cleaner like Cif can help you clean thoroughly without scratching the plastic.
- Fill the tub again with cold water, then run the jets for another 15 minutes. This helps rinse out the cleaner and any remaining dirt and bacteria.
- Drain the tub, and give it a final clean with Cif. Your Jacuzzi should now be sparkling clean once more so you can enjoy a blissful bathroom.
And there you have it. One simple – yet thorough – way to clean your Jacuzzi or hot tub.