- Use our checklists to make deep cleaning much less daunting
- Focus on areas you don't always tackle thoroughly, like the oven
- Move heavy furniture and appliances to allow you to clean behind and underneath
- Sit back and enjoy the rest of your bank holiday in a sparkling home!
The start of spring brings to mind fresh starts, new beginnings and more importantly: a clean house. It also signals that there are a few bank holidays on the horizon! With a few more work-free days on your hands, a bank holiday weekend seems like the perfect opportunity to give the house a proper once-over–when will you find the chance to do so otherwise?
Deep cleaning your house doesn’t have to take up the entire occasion (long lie-ins and trips out are a must, too). Thankfully it can be done if you use your time wisely, by getting stuck into the areas you usually just skim over.
Follow our checklist for cleaning your house this bank holiday; we’ve concentrated on the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom as we think you’ll notice a big difference by focusing on just three rooms. In fact, you’ll feel full of the joys. We guarantee it.
Has your cleaning regime changed during the Covid-19 lockdown?
Deep cleaning the kitchen
If you wash floors and wipe surfaces on a weekly basis, concentrate on kitchen appliances and cupboards for a thorough clean. Open the windows, banish any pets and do the following:
- Clear out the fridge, removing any old food and wiping out drawers and compartments with a damp cloth
- Clear out and wipe down cupboards, throwing away anything that is out-of-date – remember to recycle cardboard, plastic and glass containers
- Sweep and mop the floors, pulling out any removable appliances (e.g. the cooker) to clean underneath and behind
- Scrub the hob using a cleaning liquid that is suitable for the type you have, it’s likely to be ceramic, glass or hot plate
- Don’t put it off any longer – follow this step-by-step guide to cleaning your oven. Avoid using a product which takes ages to work – something like Cif oven cleaner is quick and easy, plus it is fume free which is handy if you have children around or are sensitive to harsh chemicals.
Deep cleaning the bathroom
It’s the bane of most people’s housework routine, but cleaning the bathroom doesn’t have to be such a chore. Freshen it up by ticking off this checklist:
- Wipe down all surfaces and clean out the cupboards, throwing away any out-of-date products or medication
- Wash the shower or bath – natural products like vinegar and baking soda are useful for removing tough soap scum. You could also use a disinfectant on areas where bacteria is likely to build up. Domestos Bleach Spray is convenient as it is a multi-purpose tool for an all-round clean house – just remember to take safety precautions and to test on a small area first
- Give the toilet a thorough clean, using a toilet cleaner like Domestos Zero Limescale to tackle tough limescale build-up
- Wash all bath mats, and/or clean the shower curtain
- Clean tiles with a scrubbing brush, paying attention to any mould or mildew that has built up on the grouting.
Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
Deep cleaning the bedroom
It’s a room you spend a lot of time in, so don’t neglect it – spruce up your bedroom by doing the following:
- Wash curtains and/or dust blinds. If your curtains are lightweight, you can put them in the washing machine with your regular laundry detergent – we like Persil Bio 3in1 Washing Capsules as they’re great for big loads. Always read the care label first before putting anything in the washing machine
- Wash your bedding and flip your mattress! (Remember to ask for help, it’s definitely a two-person job)
- Move furniture wherever possible in order to vacuum underneath and around.
- Remove cobwebs and dust from ceilings and on top of high surfaces
- Sort and re-arrange wardrobes, concentrating on ‘junk’ drawers and forgotten storage space.
So if you’re in the mood for a proper clean then use this how to clean a house checklist and get stuck in this bank holiday. Our handy cleaning your house checklist will let you whizz round the most important rooms in a jiffy; leaving you free to enjoy the rest of the long weekend.