Follow our top tips to get rid of mosquitoes in your home and garden:
- Choose a mosquito-repellent oil to make into a spray for your body or room.
- Take a long-term approach by growing plants and herbs that repel mosquitoes.
- Remove any standing water in your garden; it can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes are not only a nuisance; they can also pose a health risk for your family. These relentless pests take some convincing to go away but, with the right tips to get rid of mosquitoes, you’ll soon be free of them. We’re sharing some easy home remedies that should help stop the buzzing around your home and garden. Here’s how to get rid of mosquitoes naturally.
3 Home remedies to get rid of mosquitoes
There are all sorts of ways to get rid of mosquitoes naturally, from homemade oil sprays you can apply to your body or spritz around your room to certain foods and drinks that can work wonders at keeping these pests away. Here are our top 3 favourite remedies:
1) How to get rid of mosquitoes with oils
Want to know how to get rid of mosquitoes in a room? Oils are some of the most popular home remedies to get rid of mosquitoes so try spraying your home with one of the following scents:
- Citronella oil: one of the best-known options. You can either spray it around your room, apply it to your body, or use it in a candle.
- Tea tree oil: contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Mix a few drops with water and spray on your body as a natural repellent.
- Lavender, eucalyptus, and lemon oils: have strong scents that interfere with mosquitoes senses. Add it to water and spray it on your body for a calming way to keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Coconut and lilac oils: the anti-viral and anti-protozoan properties of lilac oil can keep mosquitoes away. Mix it with coconut oil and apply it to your body.
2) How to get rid of gnats and mosquitoes outside with herbs and plants
Just like oils, there are certain fresh herbs that can play a part in getting rid of mosquitoes. Plant them around your home or keep them on the windowsill to repel mosquitoes:
- Peppermint: most bugs despise the smell and taste of this herb. Plant it around your home to keep mosquitos from dropping by uninvited. Rubbed directly onto the skin, it can also make a great bite relief treatment.
- Basil: calling all cooks! By planting some basil, you will not only have a quick and easy mosquito repellent but a delicious fresh herb to hand to add to your favourite recipes.
- Catnip: cats may love it, but mosquitos hate it! Keep the plants full by pinching the growing stems and flower buds when they appear.
3) How to get rid of mosquitoes inside the house with food
Need to know how to keep mosquitoes away in the home? Just like oils and herbs, there are some foods that these pests simply don't seem to like:
- Garlic. Crush a few cloves and mix with water before boiling for a few minutes. Spray the mixture around your room or onto your plants to repel mosquitoes.
- Apple cider vinegar. Dilute and use as a spray to deter mosquitoes from your room.
Now you know how to get rid of mosquitoes naturally you can put some of these ideas into practice. Take your pick from the list and look forward to a mosquito-free environment!
Planning ahead for pest season? Read our article on quick and useful tips to get rid of fleas and our survival guide for warm weather insect invasion for more tips.