Follow our key steps on how to get rid of spiders in your home:
- Keep your home clean, tidy, and sealed up to prevent spiders from getting in.
- Try spraying repellent oils – such as peppermint, tea tree, or eucalyptus.
- Use a glass and a card to scoop up individual spiders.
- Sweep away cobwebs on the ceiling with a broom.
- Move plants and shrubs away from the home as they can attract spiders.
With the changing of the seasons comes the question of how to get rid of spiders at home. Not all spiders are bad but some can pose health risks! Check out our tips to get rid of spiders naturally in the home, plus tried-and-tested ways to prevent them from getting back in.
How to get rid of spiders naturally in the house
You can obviously use chemicals and traps as a way of getting rid of spiders, but there are also plenty of natural options. Here are our 3 favourites:
1) How to get rid of spiders in the house - free them outside
If you’re dealing with a non-poisonous spider, you can use an old-fashioned – but very effective – method of removing them from your home:
- Get a transparent glass or tumbler and a firm piece of card that’s big enough to cover the mouth of the glass completely.
- Place the glass over the top of the spider – trapping it inside. Be careful not to catch any of its legs!
- Slide the card carefully underneath the glass. Keep the glass as flat to the wall or floor as possible so the spider can't escape.
- Hold the card firmly and press against the glass as you lift it up off the floor or wall.
- Carry the spider inside the glass and card trap and gently lower to the ground outside. Step away as far as you can and lift the glass to release the spider.
If you have a large infestation or you’re dealing with dangerous spiders, call in a professional immediately and keep family members away.
2) How to get rid of spiders on the ceiling - remove their webs
Getting rid of spiders up high can be a little more complicated but it’s still possible when you know a few tricks.
- Grab your broom.
- Gently sweep up the spider webs.
- If they're big enough, and it's possible to do so, place the webs outside and far away from your home.
3) How to get rid of spiders on houseplants
It’s not only common to find spiders on the walls and ceilings of your home, they also like to hide amongst the leaves of your greenery! When you spot a spider or web on your houseplant, follow these steps to remove them:
- Break off the leaves or twigs that are holding the web.
- With the web intact, take the spider outside.
- Leave it as far from your home as possible - this will make it less likely that the spider will easily find their way back in.
Spider prevention tips to get rid of spiders for good
If you want to know how to get rid of spiders in the house permanently then you’ll need to learn how to prevent them from getting back in. Here are our top ways to get rid of spiders for good:
- Keep your home tidy: spiders love dark hiding spots like piles of dirty laundry, cardboard boxes, and newspapers. Use Handy Andy to wipe down surfaces around the house.
- Clean away food: crumbs attract pests like ants, which in turn attract spiders as they’re a primary source of food.
- Seal your home: patch up holes and cracks on exterior walls and around doors and windows.
- Cover chimney and vents: use fine mesh insect screens to stop them from getting in this way.
- Spray your house with peppermint, tea tree or eucalyptus oil. Spiders can’t stand the smell. Mix a few drops of the oil with water, and spray on the cracks, entrances, and corners of your home.
- Move plants and shrubs away from your home: mulch, leaves, and stones serve as good holes and they attract spiders, so move all vegetation to the opposite side of your yard.
Now you’ve got a few options for how to get rid of spiders from your home, you can look forward to living without those scurrying, eight-legged creatures!