Cleaning the toilet is one of the jobs around the home that can seem a little daunting, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Cleaning the toilet is actually only a 10 minute job, if you know a few little tricks.
The main concern with toilets is that they can harbour germs and become very dirty, but if you routinely clean your toilet there’s no need to worry about this happening. However, with busy work and home lives to juggle, it can be common to neglect your toilet cleaning routine.
Don’t worry if you find yourself with a toilet tragedy like this. With this step-by-step guide on how to remove stains from a toilet it’ll be quick and easy to help restore your toilet to its former glory!
How to Clean a Dirty Toilet in 10 Minutes
We have two great methods of how to get stains out of toilets, each being an effective solution to dirty loos. Just remember with any cleaning product that you use that you should always read the instructions on the label first and take appropriate safety measures such as wearing rubber gloves.
Remove Toilet Stains with a Commercial Toilet Cleaner
This method is split into two parts with a 30 minute rest in-between – just enough time to put your feet up and enjoy a nice cup of tea.
Part 1 – Prepare the loo and tackle stains (6-7 minutes)
- Put on your rubber gloves, lift up the toilet seat, and squirt your toilet cleaner around the rim and the sides. A bleach based cleaner like Domestos Extended Germ Kill Bleach is great for tackling germs in the toilet bowl, but if your dirty toilet is covered in limescale stains then choose a cleaner with limescale-fighting properties such as Domestos Zero Limescale. Remember to follow the instructions on your product’s label.
- Next scrub the toilet with the toilet brush making sure the cleaning solution reaches every nook and cranny of the toilet, including the u-bend.
- Then, leave the toilet cleaner to get to work for about 30 minutes. Put your feet up and have a cup of tea, or clean another area in the bathroom, like the shower!
Part 2 – Give it a final scrub and rinse (3-4 minutes)
After you’ve allowed the solution to sit for 30 minutes you can complete the final few minutes of your 10-minute toilet cleaning task!
- Give the toilet one more scrub to loosen any particularly stubborn stains.
- Flush the toilet and stand back and admire your now sparkling clean toilet.