Key steps to getting rid of fish moths:
- Don't leave any food out or open.
- Throw out old newspapers and magazines.
- Use a dehumidifier and deal with any sources of moisture around the home.
- Consider using essential oils to repel fish moths with scents.
Fish moths, also known as silverfish, are one of the most off-putting pests you can find in your house. While not directly harmful, their appearance can make your skin crawl and they can potentially damage books, wallpaper, and clothes. Luckily, it is possible to get rid of fish moths and prevent future infestations: here’s how.
How to get rid of fish moths, or silverfish, in your home
Follow these straightforward instructions to get rid of fish moths quickly and easily:
- Keep food closed. Food is a big attraction for fish moths so one of the easiest things you can do is always keep food containers firmly closed and clean up crumbs quickly. Systematically go through your kitchen (and anywhere else food might be lurking) to remove spoiled food and transfer any open food items to sealable containers.
- Reduce humidity levels. Fish moths like moisture so reducing humidity in your home can help keep them out. Consider buying a dehumidifier to draw moisture from the air but don't neglect general home maintenance either - make sure your water pipes and roof aren’t leaking, seal up any cracks in the walls, and ensure that your gutters are nice and clear.
- Declutter crowded spaces. Make sure you’re not providing a friendly environment for fish moths to set-up their own homes by keeping hold of clutter. Magazines or books left in damp areas are the ideal home for fish moths so minimise the amount of paper you keep around the house, especially in rooms like the bathroom or kitchen where moisture levels will be higher.
Using essential oils to get rid of silverfish or fish moths
Aside from cleaning and tidying your home with bleach to remove fish moths or silverfish, you can also use certain ingredients to deter them from setting up camp in the first place. Essential oils are a great natural fish moth repellent, especially if you’re looking for tips on how to get rid of fish moths in cupboards! Simply apply a few drops of your chosen essential oil to the areas where fish moths are most likely to be found.
Here are some of the most effective essential oils you can use to keep fish moths out:
- Cinnamon oil
- Peppermint oil
- Orange oil
- Tea tree oil
What causes fish moths in the home?
Fish moths are drawn to environments where it is easy for them to breed. This includes anywhere they can get food and water - so damp, dark areas such as under baths and sinks or at the back of damp cupboards. Fish moths tend to be brought into the house on paper and books so always be vigilant about what you’re bringing home, especially any items that have been stored in moist conditions.
Now you know how to get rid of silverfish or fish moths, you can remove these pests and reduce the chance of them coming into your home again. Remember to always keep your kitchen and bathroom squeaky clean with Domestos bleach as this is where you're most likely to find fish moths.