Cleaning Slate Floors
Although weekly dust-mopping will lessen the need for a comprehensive clean, eventually dirt will accumulate, so you’ll need to know how to clean slate floor tiles. Before cleaning them, make sure that your slate floor is sealed. Because slate is so porous, it needs to be sealed to protect against spills.
When you’re ready to clean your slate floor, give these tips a try:
- Vacuum to remove any loose debris (do this before each step listed below)
- Dilute your stone or slate cleaning solution as per the product’s directions, taking note of the safety precautions on the label
- Apply to a small area of floor, rather than attempting to clean it all in one go – this makes the job much more manageable!
- Rinse with warm, soapy water
- Mop up any excess moisture
Steam cleaning is one of the most effective ways of cleaning slate tiles because, unlike a mop and bucket approach, it can infiltrate grout, as well as giving tiles a welcome makeover.
Slate Cleaning Products
There are some great, specially formulated slate cleaners on the market. We recommend a professional product as they are guaranteed not to have an acid base, which can damage your slate tiles. The best products half the work required by acting as combined tile-grout cleaners
How to Clean a Slate Floor – Stain Removal
To make short work of stains, follow these easy steps:
- Tackle immediately with a soft cotton cloth – the longer you leave the stain, the harder it will be to shift
- Mop the floor with warm, soapy water
- Target soiled area with a sponge
Targeting Dirty Grout
Using an old toothbrush to apply grout cleaner is a great way to make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies around the tiles. Alternatively, look for a dual-purpose slate cleaner that targets slate and grout, and apply liberally.
Remember: Test all new products on a small, inconspicuous area before application. If unsure about a product’s suitability, consult manufacturer’s instructions. Should discolouration or corrosion occur, cease using the product immediately.