Pets are a wonderful addition to our homes, but there is no doubt that they bring a whole lot of mess into our lives too, from jumping on the furniture to leaving unpleasant traces of where they have been. Here you will find tips for how to remove dog urine from carpet fibres and clean up poo too!
How to prepare your carpet for cleaning
There are a few things you should know before you start cleaning dog urine or poo from your carpet.
- Always wear gloves.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning.
- Always dispose of waste appropriately.
- It is best to take waste straight to the dustbin to avoid lingering smells.
How to get dog poo off the carpet
There are two ways to clean dog poo out of carpeted areas in your home, depending on whether the poo is solid or diarrhoea.
- Cover the area with a bowl to allow the diarrhoea to dry.
- Remove any solids bits you can using a paper towel, being careful not to rub the poo further into the carpet.
- Use a fork to gently scrape up the dried poop.
- Vacuum the area.
- Make a water and vinegar solution and blot the area with paper towels to absorb excess liquid and remove the stain.
- Leave baking soda overnight on the stained area to remove any smells.
- Vacuum the area to ensure all traces of baking soda are removed.
- Spray the area with disinfecting spray to kill off any bacteria that may still be there and allow the carpet to dry.
For solid poop:
- Pick up the poo and put it in a bin bag.
- Vacuum the area to make sure all tiny particles are removed.
- Spray the area with disinfecting spray before letting your carpet dry.
How to clean dog urine from the carpet
Dealing with dog urine in your carpet is similar to the above instruction for diarrhoea.
- Use an old towel or cloth to soak up any excess liquid.
- Use equal parts of white vinegar and water to create a cleaning solution, and pour it directly onto the carpet.
- Using a scrubbing brush, work the solution into the carpet being sure to cover the entire area where the urine was.
- Press a paper towel into the carpet to blot the stain.
- Allow the carpet to dry, and sprinkle baking soda over the area.
- Apply a solution of one half cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a teaspoon of washing up liquid to the stain.
- Using the scrubbing brush once again, work the solution into the carpet.
- Allow the carpet to dry, then vacuum the area thoroughly.
Now you have steps to remove dog urine from carpet fibres and have learnt how to clean dog poo from carpet, you have all the tips you need to ensure you are ready in the case of an unwanted gift being left around your home.