- For smaller burns, sand the area first.
- Cut away black fibres.
- For larger burns, cut out the affected area.
- Replace the cut-out section with a matching carpet scrap.
- Once the burn has been dealt with, use a comb to even out the carpet fibres.
Unfortunately, burn marks on a carpet from an iron or a heat styling tool are not stains that can be easily washed away. Read on for our top tips on how to fix a burnt carpet to minimise the appearance of marks on your carpet.
How do you know that the surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom have been disinfected?
How to get burns out of carpet when they’re minimal
There are four easy steps for how to repair burnt carpet when it is only a small burn mark.
What do you need?
How to trim the burn away
- First, use the sandpaper to smooth the area with the burn mark.
- Vacuum dust and debris away from the area.
- Use the scissors to cut away any remaining blackened carpet fibres.
- Finally, comb the area to blend the fibres with the rest of the carpet.
How to get burn marks out of carpet across a larger area
Understanding how to get an iron burn out of a carpet takes a little more time and effort. Follow this simple guide to remove an iron mark on your carpet.
What do you need?
- Utility knife
- A matching carpet scrap
- Carpet tape
Removing and replacing the burnt area:
- Clean up any loose debris with your vacuum.
- Using the utility knife, carefully remove the burnt section of carpet. While you want to remove the burnt area, try to avoid cutting the padding beneath.
- Using the piece you have removed as a pattern, cut the carpet scrap to size. Ensure you line up any patterns to match the carpet you are replacing.
- Vacuum the section you removed carpet from.
- Apply carpet tape to the padding below the area you cut out.
- Line up your carpet scrap and press firmly in place.
- After leaving the area to set for a few hours, gently comb it to blend the carpet scrap with the existing carpeting.
So, if you've got a little scorch mark or a full-on iron burn on the carpet, don't despair. With these methods, you can improve, disguise or maybe even remove the mark altogether.