- Soak paper towels in white vinegar.
- Place them on the rust to soak.
- Leave for 24 hours before rinsing off.
- If vinegar doesn’t work, try salt and lemon juice.
- Leave it for 2-3 hours before scrubbing with steel wool.
- Alternatively, elbow grease and a scraper should do the trick.
Trying to remove rust from chrome and other metal is tough, but not impossible. In this article, we'll share top tips and step-by-step instructions on how to remove rust from metal furniture and household surfaces.
How to remove rust from metal furniture and surfaces: 3 easy hacks
There are a few different hacks which will help you clean rust off metal. Using one of the following methods, we'll show you how to get rust off metal and have your furniture and surfaces sparkling again.
1. Try using a white vinegar. We recommend apple cider vinegar, but most white vinegar varieties will work for getting rust off metal.
- Soak a paper towel in your chosen white vinegar.
- Place the paper towel over the rusted area. Use paper towels if necessary to cover the area.
- Leave it to soak for around 24 hours.
- Remove the paper towels and rinse the area carefully with clean, plain water.
- Ensure you dry the area fully to prevent the water causing more damage and rust returning.
2. Lemon is another acidic ingredient to remove rust from chrome and other metals.
- Rub salt into any area which has become rusty.
- Ensure the whole of the rusted area is thoroughly covered.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top of the salt.
- Leave for 2-3 hours.
- Use steel wool to scrub away the salt and lemon juice. The rust should clean away too!
- As a natural alternative to steel wool (and to avoid further damage) try using the lemon rind to scrub instead.
- For more tips on homemade rust removers, check out our article!
3. Roll up your sleeves and get scrubbing!
Sometimes natural remedies aren’t enough to clean rust off metal by themselves. With a little bit of elbow grease and a scraper, you can remove layers of rust.
Now you have removed all traces of rust, read our article on how to clean metal to keep it looking its best. With our tips for getting rust off metal you can be sure to keep your surfaces and furniture looking their best.