The floors in your home attract the dust, food, dirt and scraps that don’t make it into your bin, so it’s very important to regularly give them a clean – particularly your kitchen floor. Kitchen floors quickly become soiled, so they require the most attention. Vacuuming and mopping are key parts of this process. Below are some strategies to help make cleaning your floor easier and more effective.
This video demonstration will help you get your floors looking spotless:
Essential mop cleaning products
- A vacuum, or a broom and a dustpan and brush
- Rubber gloves
- A mop – either a rag or a sponge type
- A mop bucket
- Floor cleaning solution and water
How to mop the floor
- Begin by vacuuming or sweeping the area. It’s more difficult to mop if there are food or dirt particles on the floor. Always tidy up the area first.
- Put safety first. Snap-on those handy rubber gloves and check the label on the back of your floor cleaning product for the safety information.
- Fill your mop bucket. Mix hot water and an appropriate amount of floor cleaning solution, according to the directions on the label.
- Start mopping! Plunge your mop in, wring it out, and get to work!
- Rinse the floor. Once you’re finished mopping, make sure you give the floor an extra rinse – especially if you have kids or pets. This is easily done by washing out the mop you’ve just used (or using a dedicated ‘rinsing’ mop), and going over the area again with plain water.
- If you have a rag mop, mopping in a tight horizontal figure of eight will work best, as this doesn’t leave any bits behind that you might have missed when sweeping or vacuuming.
- Periodically shake out your rag mop over the bin if required.
- If you have a sponge mop, clean like you would vacuum – in vertical lines.
- If you come across any trouble spots that the mop won’t clean, don’t worry; you can go over those later with a cloth.
- Vacuum or sweep the floor before you begin mopping.
- Always follow the safety instructions on your cleaning product’s label.
- Remember to rinse the floor with fresh water once you have finished mopping.